Researching And Using #Hashtags Effectively Can Significantly Boost Your Visibility And Reach On Social Media Platforms.
Let’s look at strategies for popular platforms and the appropriate number and placement of hashtags:
- Strategy: On Instagram, hashtags are crucial. Use a mix of highly popular and niche-specific hashtags. Aim for a combination of trending and evergreen tags.
- Number: You can use up to 30 hashtags per Instagram post.
- Placement: Place a few hashtags within your post caption and the rest in a comment under your post, first comment with some emojis, then reply to your own comment with all the hashtags, this will effectively hide them from general view, but they’ll still have the desired affect.
- Research: To find hashtags, use Instagram’s built-in search feature. You can also check what hashtags influencers or competitors in your niche are using. Use a mixture of very large popular hashtags and smaller niche specific ones.
- Strategy: Twitter hashtags help categorise and discover content. Use relevant, trending, and niche-specific hashtags, don’t duplicate your post wording in the hashtags as Twitter recogises both in searches, use them to add extra reach to the post.
- Number: Twitter suggests using no more than 2-3 hashtags per Tweet for optimal engagement.
- Placement: Add hashtags within the text of your Tweet.
- Research: Twitter’s search bar is a valuable tool to discover trending hashtags. Additionally, Twitter Moments often feature trending topics.
- Strategy: On LinkedIn, hashtags are used to connect with professionals. Use industry-specific, trending, and skill-based hashtags.
- Number: While there is no strict limit, using 3-5 relevant hashtags per post is a good practice.
- Placement: Incorporate hashtags within your post’s content or add them at the end of your post.
- Research: On LinkedIn, hashtags are typically industry-specific. Browse posts in your industry to identify commonly used hashtags.
- Strategy: Facebook hashtags are less common but can still enhance discoverability. Use trending or brand-specific hashtags. This works when posting on Instagram and Facebook at the same time, the initial hashtags post on both networks, then the additional hashtags are added on Instagram only, as a comment.
- Number: Using one or two relevant hashtags is recommended for Facebook.
- Placement: Insert hashtags at the end of your post or within the post’s content.
- Research: You can find popular hashtags on Facebook by searching for them in the platform’s search bar.
- Strategy: TikTok relies heavily on trending challenges and sounds. Participate in trending challenges and use a mixture of relevant and trending hashtags.
- Number: TikTok allows up to 100 characters in captions. Use as many relevant hashtags as you can fit.
- Placement: Insert hashtags in your caption or in the comments section of your video.
- Research: Explore trending challenges and sounds within the TikTok app, and use the related hashtags.
- Strategy: Pinterest is all about discovery. Use niche-specific and detailed hashtags related to your pins.
- Number: Pinterest allows up to 20 hashtags per pin.
- Placement: Add hashtags within the special section of the pin’s description.
- Research: To discover relevant Pinterest hashtags, use the platform’s search feature and look at what tags are used in related pins.
- Strategy: YouTube hashtags are a newer feature. Use a mix of broad and specific tags related to your video content. (These are different to the Labels section within the video settings, which must be completely filled with a mix of general and specific labels)
- Number: Include 2-3 relevant hashtags in your video description.
- Placement: Add hashtags at the end of your video description.
- Research: Use YouTube’s search function to find trending and relevant hashtags for your video content.
Where To Find Information About Hashtags
Online tools like Hashtagify, All Hashtag, and RiteTag can suggest relevant hashtags based on your input.
Platform Insights: Many social media platforms offer insights on trending and related hashtags.
Competitor and Influencer Analysis: Study what tags your competitors and industry influencers are using.
Explore the trending or discovery sections on most social media platforms to identify popular hashtags. Remember that using relevant and well-researched hashtags can make your content more discoverable. Be mindful of each platform’s best practices for hashtag use and adapt your strategy accordingly.